Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Life Coach - Kaikaku - 3 Evernote

Ideas strike me anytime - while I am reading a magazine, while surfing the net, reading a book on a flight, watching a soap or discussing with a colleague. The problem is that if that idea is not captured at that time I loose it. So I got into the habit of grabbing a piece of paper - back of the magazine, delicious on internet, my notebook or whatever I can lay my hands on and well I loose it.

So what tool can I use that I can use to ensure that irrespective of where I am I can pin the idea and retrieve it irrespective of where I am.

Enter the Evernote
This is an application that I use.
https://www.evernote.com/about/learn_more/

If I am reading an article while surfing, I grab the URL or clip the entire article and store it in Evernote adding tags to it for enabling to search later on. I can store it in a folder depending on the content.
If I am reading a magazine I can photograph it using the evernote application on my google phone and I can upload the photograph to my evernote account and append the tags and store it in the relevant folder. The OCR feature enables me to search on a photograph too.
If I am reading a novel or a book I can do the same, photograph the page and upload it.
If I am talking to a colleague, I can record the conversation and upload it to evernote.

I have evernote installed on my phone, my PC and laptop. All I have to do is sync the devices and does not matter where I am, I have access to the information I need. Going further all my information is also on the web in my account.

As a Commander at a Strategic Level I guess most of the time you should be thinking, talking to reports, giving suggestions. You must be reading books that make your mind think. You are on the move in the field and get ideas, you record them in your phone and upload them. What makes a great commander is ideas and implementation. Ideas strike all of us, it is only about recognizing them and acting on them.

Most of you must be thinking - we do not have the technology right now. But as I see it, it already exists elsewhere and many are making use of it. It is only a matter of time that it comes to a place near you. But that is the beauty of Kaikaku - thinking beyond the daily increments and living a multiplier effect.

No comments: