Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Life Coach - 77 of 100 - Core values of defence forces

One IT company I admire is Amazon.I recently was evaluating their core values and then as is my habit extrapolated them to defence services.

If I were to define the core values of defence forces this is what it would be. Why should there be core values in the first place - I feel they define what we are and what we do, what we exist for

  • Enemy Obsession / Protection of the country: We start with the enemy and work backwards in everything that we do. Everything that we do is geared towards that
  • Innovation: If we don't pay attention to the changing circumstances, we will fail. US war on terror in Afghanistan, suicide bombings in Pakistan, use of drones, everything will matter to us some day. Hence the obsession in point 1. But mere understanding of circumstance is not sufficient. The enemy will attack continuously in forms that we wont be ready for. And hence we need to constantly innovate, refine our doctrines. Innovation in processes and technology is a must.
  • Bias for Action: We live in a time of unheralded revolution and insurmountable opportunity and threats – provided we make every minute count. If we work for only 8 hours everyday, make every minute of 8 hours matter to make a difference.
  • Ownership: Ownership matters when you’re building a great defence force. Owners think long-term, plead passionately for their projects and ideas, and are empowered to respectfully challenge decisions. Army is not a promotion seeking career. It is a love of a lifetime. At any rank and any post I am an owner of those tasks delegated to me.
  • Promotion criteria / Building future leadership: When making a promotion decision we ask ourselves: “Will I admire this person if I were to work for him? Will I learn from this person? Is this person an asset?”
  • Frugality: We spend money on things that really matter and believe that frugality breeds resourcefulness, self-sufficiency, and invention!
  • Discipline: It is not blind obedience, but obedience based on trust and faith that our superiors are doing the right thing.
I have not stated patriotism as a core value. I have my reasons. What do you think?

No comments: